This building is a milestone in modern architecture. Giuseppe Terragni, commissioned to design the seat of the Fascist party in 1932, built a structure that perfectly reconciles functionalism and modernity with tradition and classicism. For example, its position next to the city’s cultural pole (the theatre) and above all, its religious pole (the cathedral) is symbolic and traditional, whilst the external white marble covering and layout – a perfect parallelepiped – are classical.
Terragni also borrowed from Italian Renaissance architecture the idea of an inner courtyard around which the entire layout develops. All these elements are however reinterpreted in a Rationalist and very personal key.
The former Casa del Fascio now houses the Provincial Headquarters of the Financial Police.