';

Como Cathedral

One of the most relevant monuments of northern Italy, located a few steps from the lake, was started in 1396 and built in different stages over three centuries and a half.

The architectural design characterising it is an articulated and complex one, thanks to which totally unlike interpretations of space and very different styles merge into a single building.

Although built over a long period of time, ranging from late Gothic to Rococo, it has preserved indeed a harmony which, from age to age, has been reiterated by connecting the new parts to the proportions defined in the previous age.

The façade dates from the mid-15th century and the decorations on the façades and portals, mainly the work of the Rodari brothers who were active between the late 15th and early 16th century, are particularly beautiful. Of particular note is Porta della Rana on the northern flank. By the front doors, the two podia with the statues of the Latin writers and illustrious sons of Como Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger are late Gothic in origin.

Although pagan, they are situated to the side of the main portal. Inside, the Gothic-Renaissance central nave and aisles lead to the late 16th-century presbytery. Towering above it is a majestic cupola built around 1730 based on a design by Filippo Juvara. The works of art housed inside include the wood altar of Saint Abbundius, a “Sacred Conversation” by Luini, a standard by Morazzone and nine 16th-century tapestries. The temple is 87 metres long and the cupola reaches a height of 78 metres.

The cathedral is open every day from 7.30 am to 7.00 pm.